We are extremely concerned about the potential impact of Tropical Storm Tomas. The threat of heavy rains and winds causing flash floods and mud slides is particularly serious with so much of the population living under tents and tarps. We have been working for months to prepare people in the camps for just this kind of threat and show them how to protect themselves and their families.
We’ve pursued 2 courses of action ahead of Tomas:
- Disaster preparedness and risk reduction, which means direct work with the camp populations.
- Pre-positioning resources and emergency personnel for a rapid response after the storm.
- Press Release #1 (November 1)
- Press Release #2 (November 4)
- Disaster Online Newsroom updates
- @KwaWouj (Project with Twitter so Haitians can FastFollow hurricane preparedness and cholera tips to their mobile phones)
- @RedCross (American Red Cross Twitter account that will stay updated on Tomas developments)