There have been multiple devastating storms across the South and East portions of the U.S. in the last few weeks. Last night, one of the worst hit states was Alabama, with tornadoes destroying countless homes and taking lives.
Red Cross chapters have been hard at work providing shelter, food, and comfort to people affected by these disasters. In fact, since April 8 the Red Cross has opened more than 40 shelters and provided more than 3,000 overnight stays. In addition, with community partners, the Red Cross has served nearly 250,000 meals and snacks and distributed more than 22,000 items like clean-up supplies and comfort kits to people in the affected areas.
- You can follow the latest news on what the American Red Cross is doing at our Disaster Online Newsroom.
- You can also get information by following @RedCross on Twitter, or following our Twitter list of Red Cross chapters.
- Seek information about loved ones, or register yourself as safe and well on our Safe&Well website.
- Refresh your memory and read our tornado safety tips
- Find open shelters on our National Shelter Map
- Contact your local chapter to ask about volunteering opportunities
- Follow the FEMA blog for updates on government response to the disasters