The global Red Cross network, led by the Nepal Red Cross, has mounted an international relief effort to provide emergency humanitarian assistance following the devastating 7.8 magnitude earthquake in Nepal.
How Can I Help?
If you’re wondering how to help Nepal earthquake victims, you have three easy options:
1. Donate online to Nepal earthquake relief on redcross.org.
2. Visit your iTunes store to find a donation link.
3. Spread the word on relief efforts and ways to help online. Find and share information on social channels, including the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies Twitter account and our very own Facebook and Twitter posts.
UPDATE: To help with critical mapping efforts, visit http://tasks.hotosm.org. No experience is needed, just a computer and internet connection.
- Funds: The American Red Cross is committing an initial million dollars to the response operation and working closely with the Nepal Red Cross and the global Red Cross network to coordinate additional support.
- Management Support and Relief Items: The American Red Cross is also providing remote mapping and information management support and is arranging for supplies from its warehouses in Kuala Lumpar and Dubai to be sent to Nepal, including non-food items such as tarps, buckets, kitchen sets and blankets, although logistical transport remains a challenge.
- People and Skills: Additionally, eight American Red Cross disaster specialists are on their way to Nepal to support emergency relief, cash transfer programing, information management, recovery planning and IT/telecoms.
This post has been updated to reflect current response numbers and information.