Thanks to one free week of Hulu Plus, I spent my Saturday evening doing all sorts of wonderful things. Namely, starting season 1, episode 1 of The Mindy Project. As happens to most Red Crossers, relevant safety lessons jump out of pop culture around every corner. Let’s take a moment to glean some critical fire safety lessons from season 1, episode 6 (yes, I made it that far in one night, no judgement please).
In this particular episode, Mindy’s boyfriend makes her a seemingly lovely Thanksgiving meal – tilapia. Prepared on a panini grill (one of 6 he apparently uses to cook everything and anything). The tilapia was completed with a Red Bull glaze, let’s not forget.
Notwithstanding the fact the meal is disgusting (as Mindy so boldly points out), the entire “cluster” of panini grills blows a fuse and starts a fire during dinner.
Hey, did you know the #1 cause of home fires is cooking? Josh and Mindy do. And now for a breakdown of what went wrong:
Josh had six fairly powerful kitchen appliances plugged in and running at the same time. Don’t do that.
Josh sees the fire and grabs his wine. We understand you want to take your most important possessions, but really, you should leave your home safely and call 9-1-1.
Josh hides behind Mindy. Mindy is not a fire extinguisher. Mindy is not a trained professional. Hiding behind Mindy is basically the opposite of what you should be doing here.
Mindy grabs a candle from the table in order to “fight fire with fire.” I think we can see what went wrong here. Moving along…
There was no plan. Baseline fire safety here folks — have a plan and execute it. Josh, you should have a fire escape plan (AND a smoke alarm, where was that?) and should be ready to help all household guests follow the plan. How was Mindy supposed to know the escape route?