Earlier this month, Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern gave the 2015 commencement speech to McDonough School of Business graduate students at Georgetown University.
She had some great advice to share, and we wanted to share it with you! Hear Gail talk about her five keys to successful leadership and suggest to ask other leaders the same question to pick and choose what points resonate with you personally. Here’s Gail’s start to develop your own leadership style:
- Staffing. Effective leaders recruit great peopel to work for them.
- Embrace change. If you don’t embrace change, you can’t survive in corporate America. Or in the non-profit world, for that matter.
- Be resilient. Everyone is watching you and taking cues. If you don’t project confidence and optimism, it can rattle an organization.
- Make decisions purely based on what’s good for the institution.
- Effective leaders lead not only with their head, but also with their heart.
Watch her entire speech below.